MSDC is a non-profit educational organization. We have great presentations, an award-winning newsletter, field trip opportunities, and camaraderie with longtime enthusiasts and newly curious people who enjoy learning about minerals, gems, and how the earth makes them, as well as fossils, geology, and collecting. We support the advancement of mineralogy and geological sciences.
MSDC was founded in 1942. For 75 years we've enjoyed a close relationship with mineral scientists and curators of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Some of them helped to found the club.
Smithsonian Mineral Sciences Department members continue to be MSDC speakers and friends. MSDC members also volunteer with the Mineral Science Department, either working behind the scenes or engaging with museum visitors. You can volunteer at NMNH, too.
MSDC speakers also include:
- Scientists at other organizations like the US Geologic Survey
- Professors of geology and mineral sciences at nearby universities like George Washington University, Northern Virginia Community College, James Madison University, and The College of William and Mary
- Field collectors who report on their trips
- Mineral collectors who share highlights of their collections
- Members who share their own interests
- Many more
MSDC Officers and Others:
- President: Dave Nanney
- Vice President: Dave Hennessey
- Secretary: Andy Thompson
- Treasurer: John Weidner
- Directors: Yury Kalish (until 12/31/2018), Ken Reynolds (until 12/31/2019), Amanda Parker (until 12/31/2020)
- Newsletter Editor: Steve Johnson
- Hospitality Representatives: Ed and Susan Fisher
- Webmasters: Casper Voogt (technical) and Betty Thompson (content)
Want more info? Please email us at mineralclubdc at gmail dot com.
Website comments? Please contact Betty Thompson at bdthompson01 at yahoo dot com.