Curious about the world under your feet?
Join with us to explore
the earth's 4000+ minerals and how they came to be!
Mission of the Mineralogical Society of the District of Columbia (MSDC)
- To learn together and further knowledge about mineralogy and earth sciences
- To share the pleasure of collecting minerals
- To welcome you to explore these interests with us
Who We Are
- We're rockhounds, professional mineral scientists, mineral collectors and enthusiasts, and people with new interests in minerals and earth sciences.
- We're from DC, the Maryland and Virginia suburbs, and points beyond.
- You're always welcome!
What we do:
- Since 1942, we've met at the Smithsonian Institution to discuss all facets of earth sciences and hear from experts in many related fields.
- We sponsor or join with other local clubs for field trips.
- Our monthly newsletters offer diverse articles at all knowledge levels.
- We support mineral sciences by volunteering at the Smithsonian and elsewhere and by finding other ways to expand interest and knowledge.
When and Where
- 1st Wednesday of every month except July and August.
- At the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), 10th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
- 7:30 p.m. in the Constitution Avenue lobby. A security officer leads us to our meeting room, so please be on time.
- December time and place may vary.
- Take Metro or use ParkMobile app for on-street parking on Constitution Avenue 6:30-10 PM. Or park on other streets.
Wed,, March 6 -- Pegmatites - Mike Wise, Mineral Sciences Department, Smithsonian Institution
Wed., April 3 -- The Many Faces of Fluorite - Herwig Pelckmans
Wed., May 1 -- Recent Smithsonian Mineral Acquisitions - Jeff Post, Chair of Mineral Sciences Department and Curator of Gems and Minerals at the Smithsonian Institution
Wed., June 5 -- Dr. Cindy Kearns
Please join us as we typically take speakers to dinner at 6:00 PM before the club meeting. We'll have dinner at the Elephant and Castle Restaurant, 1201 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, just a couple of blocks from our meeting place -- the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. If you can't make it to dinner, meet us in the Constitution Avenue lobby of the Natural History Museum at 7:30 PM.
There’s no parking on most downtown streets until 6:30 PM.
Parking for meetings:
- The NMNH parking lot is closed to us through 2025 because of construction.
- On-street parking on Constitution Avenue is available only after 6:30 PM. It costs $3-4 per hour until 10 PM. It's free after 10 PM. Meetings and social time often last until 9:45 – 10 PM.
- Pay for parking on Constitution Avenue at a kiosk, or with the free app ParkMobile. Download it to your cell phone via GooglePlay or AppStore.
- Maybe parking on 7th Street, 12th Street, and on the Mall is also available, maybe at lower cost.
- Carpools can save on parking costs.
Want to know more about any of this?
Email us at thompson01 at erols dot com. We’re happy to answer your questions.
Check the MSDC newsletter.
Visit a meeting any time!