Curious about the world under your feet?
Join with us to explore
the earth's 4000+ minerals and how they came to be!
Mission of the Mineralogical Society of the District of Columbia (MSDC)
- To learn together and further knowledge about mineralogy and earth sciences
- To share the pleasure of collecting minerals
- To welcome you to explore these interests with us
Who We Are
- We're rockhounds, professional mineral scientists, mineral collectors and enthusiasts, and people with new interests in minerals and earth sciences.
- We're from DC, the Maryland and Virginia suburbs, and points beyond.
- You're always welcome!
What we do:
- Since 1942, we've met at the Smithsonian Institution to discuss all facets of earth sciences and hear from experts in many related fields.
- We sponsor or join with other local clubs for field trips.
- Our monthly newsletters offer diverse articles at all knowledge levels.
- We support mineral sciences by volunteering at the Smithsonian and elsewhere and by finding other ways to expand interest and knowledge.
Want to know more about any of this?
- Email us at mineralclubdc at gmail dot com. We’re happy to answer your questions.
- Check the MSDC newsletter.
- Visit a meeting any time!
We are affiliated with the
American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AFMS)
We are a founding member of the
Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies (EFMLS)