MSDC is a non-profit educational organization. Our big strengths are our great presentations, our curiosity about minerals and how the earth makes them, some very knowledgeable members who are happy to share their expertise, and the warm and welcoming camaraderie you'll enjoy at meetings. We focus on minerals, gems, geology, fossils, and collecting. We support the advancement of mineralogy and geological sciences.
MSDC was founded in 1942. For 75 years we've enjoyed a close relationship with mineral scientists and curators of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Some of them helped to found the club.
Smithsonian Mineral Sciences Department members continue to be MSDC speakers and friends. MSDC members also volunteer with the Mineral Science Department, either working behind the scenes or engaging with museum visitors. You can volunteer at NMNH, too.
MSDC Officers and Others:
- President: Dave Henessey
- Vice President: Yury Kalish
- Secretary: Andy Thompson
- Treasurer: John Weidner
- Directors: Ken Reynolds (until 12/31/2019), Amanda Parker (until 12/31/2020), and Dan Teich (until 12/31/2021)
- Newsletter Editor: Amanda Parker -- and looking for help here
- Hospitality Representatives: Ed and Susan Fisher and pretty much everybody
- Webmasters: Casper Voogt and Betty Thompson
Want more info? Please email us at mineralclubdc at gmail dot com.
Website comments? Please contact Betty Thompson at bdthompson01 at yahoo dot com.