MSDC Calendar -- Other Nearby Meetings -- Wildacres -- Notable Mineral Shows and Events
MSDC Meetings – Already interested in minerals? Just curious? Visit our meetings anytime!
First Wednesday except July and August. In 2018: Jan. 3, Feb. 7, Mar. 7, April 4, May 2, June 6, Sept. 5, Oct. 3, Nov. 7. December time and place may vary.
7:30 pm in the Constitution Avenue lobby of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), 10th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC. Be on time so a security officer can lead us to our room.
June 6 - The History of the James Madison University Mineral Museum -- Dr. Lance Kearns, professor emeritus and curator of the museum
More info on Home page and via thompson01 at erols .com
Past MSDC programs – Sample our variety and quality
MSDC Planned Events
No date yet -- Behind-the-scenes tour of new mineralogical research technology at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Mineral Sciences Department.
Nearby Club Meetings
Gem, Lapidary, and Mineralogical Society of Montgomery County (MD) - GLMS-MC: 2nd Mondays except July and August, 7:30 pm, Rockville Senior Center, 1150 Carnation Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
Gem and Mineral Hunters of Virginia - Prince William County: 3rd Wednesdays, 7:30 pm, Manassas Mall Community Room, Manassas, VA 20109
- Annual Spring and Fall week-long learning vacations
- Great experiences at a great price
- Daily hands-on workshops led by experts
- Daily lectures by accomplished speakers
- Modern lodging and plenty of good food
- On the Blue Ridge Parkway 40 miles north of Asheville, NC
- Wide covered porch and patio overlooking Grandfather Mountain, full of rocking chairs and camaraderie
- Sponsored by the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies (EFMLS)
- $425 per person for room, board, classes, lectures
- Possible additional fees for materials, depending on the class. These fees reflect only the instructor's direct costs.
- Approximately 2/3 of the cost of attending Wildacres is generously underwritten by the Blumenthal Foundation.
- Spring 2018: May 21-27
- Hands-on classes in beading, cabochons, faceting, gemology, gem trees, mineral identification, silversmithing, soapstone carving
- Speaker in residence: Helen Serras-Herman, gem sculptor and autor
- Fall 2018: Sept. 3-9
- Speaker in residence: Alfredo Petrov, explorer, raconteur, mineral dealer
- Hands-on classes in electro-etching, loops and loop chains, silversmithing, chasing and repousse, geology I and II, wirewrapping
- Register now. Wildacres is a great experience.
Shows and Events of Special Interest
April 4-8, 2018 – Annual convention of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AmFed or AFMS) and the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies, hosted by the Tar Heel Gem and Mineral Society, at its annual show, Raleigh, NC. See page 3 of the EFMLS newsletter for info.
April 6-7, 2018 – Atlantic Micromounters Conference, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria,
6055 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303
April 21, 2018 - Annual Super Dig and mine tours at Sterling Hill Museum and Mine, 30 Plant Street, Ogdensberg, NJ
May 2018 – Chesapeake Gem and Mineral Society’s Annual Gem and Mineral Show, Ruhl Armory, Towson, MD
Sept. 14-18 -- Denver Gem and Mineral Show, Expo Hall of the Denver Mart, Denver, CO
Nov. 17-18, 2018 - Annual Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show sponsored by the Northern Virginia Mineral Club. NEW LOCATION: George Mason University Dewberry Hall, Johnson Center, Braddock Rd & Rte 123; Fairfax, VA.
Full list of Eastern Federation shows