MSDC Calendar -- Other Nearby Meetings -- Wildacres -- Notable Mineral Shows and Events
MSDC Meetings – Already interested in minerals? Just curious? Visit our meetings anytime!
First Wednesday except July and August. December time and place may vary.
7:30 pm in the Constitution Avenue lobby of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), 10th Street and Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC. Be on time so a security officer can lead us to our room.
2017 – monthly except July and August. Upcoming: Nov. 1. On December 9th we'll celebrate our 75th anniversary with festive (reasonably priced) dinner and speakers (including Dr. Jeffrey Post, Smithsonian curator of minerals) at the Alexandria Holiday Inn. More info: thompson01 at erols .com .
Next event: OUR 75TH CLUB ANNIVERSARY! See home page for invitation, menu, and reply form. Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017, 6-10 PM, Alexandria Holiday Inn -- Come celebrate with us!
Past MSDC programs – Sample our variety and quality
MSDC Planned and Tentative Events
Behind-the-scenes tour of new mineralogical research technology at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Mineral Sciences Department.
Mineral Day (Saturday afternoon, TBD) for children related to MSDC members at Northern Virginia Community College, Annandale.
Special auction sponsored by nearby GLMS-MC Sat. 10/14 -- Large quantity of lapidary cutting material, slabs, minerals, agates, selenite crystals, geodes, thunder eggs, etc. Open to all. 9-10 AM - auction preview. 10AM-1:30PM - live auction. No credit cards. Rockville Senior Center, 1150 Carnation Drive, Rockville, MD.Sponsor: The Gem, Lapidary, and Mineralogical Society of Montgomery County, MD. Questions? Contact dht444 at yahoo .com.
Nearby Club Meetings
Gem, Lapidary, and Mineralogical Society of Montgomery County (MD) - GLMS-MC: 2nd Mondays except July and August, 7:30 pm, Rockville Senior Center, 1150 Carnation Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
Gem and Mineral Hunters of Virginia - Prince William County: 3rd Wednesdays, 7:30 pm, Manassas Mall Community Room, Manassas, VA 20109
- Annual Spring and Fall week-long learning vacations
- Great experiences at a great price
- Daily hands-on workshops led by experts
- Daily lectures by accomplished speakers
- Modern lodging and plenty of good food
- On the Blue Ridge Parkway 40 miles north of Asheville, NC
- Wide covered porch and patio overlooking Grandfather Mountain, full of rocking chairs and camaraderie
- Sponsored by the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies (EFMLS)
- $410 per person for room, board, classes, lectures
- Possible additional fees for materials, depending on the class. These fees reflect only the instructor's direct costs.
- Approximately 2/3 of the cost of attending Wildacres is generously underwritten by the Blumenthal Foundation.
- Spring 2017: May 22-28
- Hands-on classes in beading, cabochons, faceting, gemology, gem trees, mineral identification, silversmithing, soapstone carving
- Speaker in residence: Bob Jones, Executive Editor of Rock & Gem Magazine
- Fall 2017: Sept. 4-10
- Speaker in residence: Tim Morgan, gem and bead educator
- Class schedule not yet final
- Register now for either or both sessions. Wildacres is a great experience.
Shows and Events of Special Interest
Mar. 18-19, 2017 – Gem, Lapidary, and Mineralogical Society of Montgomery County’s Annual Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show, 10-6 Sat., 11-5 Sunday, Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut Street,
Mar. 31-Apr. 1, 2017 – Atlantic Micromounters Conference
May 2017 – Chesapeake Gem and Mineral Society’s Annual Gem and Mineral Show, Ruhl Armory, Towson, MD
June 9-11, 2017 – Annual convention of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AmFed or AFMS), hosted by the Ventura Gem and Mineral Society at its annual show, Ventura County Fairgrounds, 10 W. Ventura Blvd., Ventura, CA
October 20-22, 2017 – Annual convention of the Eastern Federation of Mineralogical and Lapidary Societies (EFMLS), hosted by the Bristol Gem and Mineral Society at its 45th annual show, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Bristol, CT
Nov. 18-19, 2017 - Annual Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show sponsored by the Northern Virginia Mineral Club. NEW LOCATION: George Mason University Dewberry Hall, Johnson Center, Braddock Rd & Rte 123; Fairfax, VA.
Full list of Eastern Federation shows